Blog Layout

Sunday, October 2, 2016

Octowrimo!






My last post made me start thinking about how I need to be writing the second draft of Where the Music Ends. My problem has been that there are some things that I need to figure out before I can start the second draft. Issues with character motivations mostly, as those were sort of confused/unclear in the first draft.
So yesterday I decided to do what I'm calling Octowrimo. My goal is 25,000 words. The book is around 20,000, but I'm giving myself 5,000 words for planning and I'm including those words in the final count (though obviously not in the word count of the draft itself); that way I can feel more like I'm actually writing, instead of the planning stage seeming to drag on and me champing at the bit to get to the words that actually count.
So I'm putting a widget up on the sidebar of this blog that will show my total Octowrimo count; I only have to write 800 words a day, which is totally doable. I wrote 916 words yesterday in about 15 minutes.
I'm going to give myself 20 minutes a day where I turn off the internet and write. Nothing else, just write. And I'm posting about it here, because I'm pretty sure people read here even if y'all don't comment; it will give me a bit of an incentive to do this, since I know people are watching.

I'm planning on being ready to write the third draft for NaNoWriMo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts; keeping them clean and polite is all I ask.